The 1st & 15th (Pretty Much) Mix Series is a series of mixes presented by Emynd & Bo Bliz on (or around) the 1st and 15th of every month.
Crossfaded Bacon Presents
1st & 15th (Pretty Much) Mix Series
Volume 15: DJ APT ONE 05.01.2009
BEST OF PHILLY DISCO
DOWNLOAD (Sharebee 192 kps)
DOWNLOAD (Zshare 192 kps)
This month our homie Apt One from the Philadelphyinz put together an extremely thorough Philly Disco mix. It’s really dope and a must have for Disco connesiuers as well as know-nots that know nothing about Philly’s rich Disco History. Download it now and here’s what the man had to say about his fine mix:
The 1970s and early 1980s were some of the most prolific times in Philly’s music history That was the era when the “Philly Sound” took over the airwaves and dancefloors worldwide. I’ve always liked this particular era and style of music just because it’s such a source of pride for people in Philly. The positivity and warmth of the music means that playing certain jams at clubs and block parties really brings a smile to peoples faces.
A lot of this material has aged pretty well. I think that resurgence of dance sounds influenced by the downtown “Garage” scene in the 1980s has helped. Danny Krivit, Larry Levan, Shep Pettibone and other remixers from the early 80s disco scene loved the lush Philly arrangements and did some choice edits.
To make this mix I had to lay out some rules for exactly what makes a record “Philly” or not. Without being too specific – each of these records has one of the following qualifications:
1. Made by a Philly-born/bred artist
2. Made by an artist on a Philly record label
3. Written/Arranged/Composed someone strongly associated with the Philly sound
4. Played by a Philly label’s house band
Obviously I couldn’t include every great Philly tune but I wanted to get some less obvious joints in there with the well known classics to show a bit of the depth and creativity of that time and place. Enjoy!
Thoughts and comments always appreciated!
1. People’s Choice – Do It Any Way You Wanna (7”) – TSOP, 1975
2. Sister Sledge – Lost In Music (12” Remix) – Atlantic, 1984
3. Bell & James – Livin It Up (Friday Night) (FitForUse Edit) – A&M, 1979 / White
4. McFadden & Whitehead – Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now – Phila Int’l, 1978
5. McFadden & Whitehead – Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now (Phillies Version) – Phila Int’l, 1981
6. McFadden & Whitehead f/ The Liberty Bells – Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now (Eagles Version) – Phila Int’l, 1981
7. Montana Sextet – Heavy Vibes (Club Mix) – Virgin, 1982
8. MFSB – Love Is The Message (Mr K. Special Edit) – TD, 198?
9. First Choice – Let No Man Put Asunder (Shep Pettibone Mix) – Salsoul,1983
10. Loleatta Halloway – Love Sensation (Shep Pettibone Mix) – Salsoul, 1983
11. Evelyn King – I Can’t Take It – RCA Victor, 1981
12. Dexter Wansel – It’s Been Cool (12” Version) – Phila. Int’l, 1979
13. Direct Current – Everybody Here Must Party – TEC, 1979
14. Q- The Voice of Q – Philly World, 1982
15. Pieces of A Dream – Mt. Airy Groove (Instrumental) – Elektra, 1982
16. Frankie Smith – Double Dutch Bus – WMOT, 1980
17. Broad Street Band f/ Bruce Grey – Work Your Body – Tempre, 1984
18. Archie Bell – Any Time Is Right (DJ Apt One Edit) – Beckett, 1981 / White
19. William DeVaughn – Be Thankful For What You’ve Got (Disco Version) – WMOT, 1980